Tuesday evening we had a tour of the Phoenix Children's hospital along with a class on spinal infusion. We were able to have many of our questions answered and left with a much better understanding of what to expect. When giving these tours, they like to bring someone along who has gone through this surgery before so we can talk with them and ask them questions as well. Amanda was the name of the girl who volunteered on our day. She is 19 years old and had the surgery 3 1/2 years ago. It was great to be able to talk with her. At the end of our tour, she asked if we knew Jeff Martin from Flagstaff. I told her not only did I know him, but we were 2nd cousins. She said my mom is his sister. Amanda's mom is Mary Ann, who I do know! We don't see her very often and I don't know her children. But what a small world! That was really fun for us.


Wednesday we had to go back to the hospital for some lab work. This is Abi and her dad waiting somewhat anxiously in the waiting room. Needles are the most dreaded part of all of this for Abi!
They numbed her before they put the needle in her arm. I was distracting her with candy from Aunt Cyndi when I looked down and noticed they already had a tube filled. Abi never even knew they had begun! Unfortunately I noticed before the nurse was finished. Once Abi saw the needle in her arm her fear of needles instantly showed. She was a trooper though!
Her nurse was absolutely wonderful and gave her this bear. She also told her she would see if she could be her nurse first thing in the morning when she came in (which she did) and asked if she could be 'put to sleep' with a mask instead of an IV. Abi liked her instantly!
After the hospital, we went to the Dr.'s office for her pre-op appointment with Dr. Gregory White. She had more x-rays, which showed us that her curve was continuing to increase. The top curve was now at 70, and the one right below it at 65! She was definitely ready for surgery.
No comments:
Post a Comment